Global Strategy for Plant Conservation
The Global Strategy for Plant Conservation grew out of the Convention on Biological Diversity and is being fed into government policy around the world.
The GSPC highlights the importance of plants and the ecosystem services they provide for all life on earth, and aims to ensure their conservation.
The vision of the GSPC is:
"Without plants, there is no life. The functioning of the planet, and our survival, depends on plants. The Strategy seeks to halt the continuing loss of plant diversity."
The mission of the GSPC is:
"The Global Strategy for Plant Conservation is a catalyst for working together at al levels - local, national, regional and global - to understand, conserve and use sustainably the world's immense wealth of plant diversity whilst promoting awareness and building the necesary capcities for its implementation."
The GSPC has 5 main objectives:
- Plant diversity is well understood, documented and recognized
- Plant diversity is urgently and effectively conserved
- Plant diversity is used in a sustainable and equitable manner
- Education and awareness about plant diversity, its role in sustainable livelihoods and importance to all life on Earth is promoted
- The capacities and public engagement necessary to implement the strategy have been developed.
Find out more here.