Lovely Leaves, Under 5s event
Thu, 26/09/2013 - 11:00am - 1:00pm
Lovely Leaves was the Botanic Garden’s first event to be held specifically for children under 5 years of age and their parents or carers. The leaf theme was selected to encourage exploration of the Garden’s collection, through the use of handling items, craft and planting activities, and a tour. This theme was also seasonal, as the end of September sees the beginning of the transition into autumn, and the start of autumn colour.
A range of activities were available:
- Handling items: Take a close-up look at some of the pruned material from our glasshouses including giant banana leaves.
- Sniff the difference: Have a go at smelling your way through some of our herbs, and see if you can tell which is best to go with roast chicken and which is often used in toothpaste.
- Scavenging activity: Borrow one of the collecting bowls to take with you on a walk around the Garden, and see what treasures you can find on the ground. The scavenged items can be used for the collage activity, or can be taken home.
- Owl collage: Decorate the owl drawing, using pencil crayons or by gluing on your scavenged items.
- Digging: Use the mini hand tools provided to practice your digging skills in our large soil trays.
- Planting crocuses to take home: Plant a white (Cream Beauty) or purple (Whitewell Purple) crocus in a pot, and make your own label to go with it.
- Storytelling: Join us for our storytelling session and hear seasonal tales in a beautiful setting.
- Tour: Borrow a mini watering can and come on a tour of the Botanic Garden to learn more and help us water our plants.
Feedback from participants
- Lovely - good range of activities and well thought out
- Thank you - kept my 3 year old busy for 2 hours
- I loved watering the pumpkin and digging in the soil!
- We liked it very much
- Great activities for Under 5's! Please keep us posted on further activities
If you were not able to make it to this event, don’t worry!